What is VTMS?
A vehicle tracking management system combines the use of automatic vehicle location in individual vehicles with software that collects these fleet data for a comprehensive picture of vehicle locations. Modern vehicle tracking systems commonly use GPS or GLONASS technology for locating the vehicle, but other types of automatic vehicle location technology can also be used.
Vehicle information can be viewed on electronic maps via the Internet or specialized software. Urban public transit authorities are an increasingly common user of vehicle tracking systems, particularly in large cities.
What can a VTMS do?
Vehicle tracking systems are commonly used by fleet operators for fleet management functions such as fleet tracking, routing, dispatching, on-board information and security.
Other scenarios under which VTMS can be employed include:
• Stolen vehicle recovery: Both consumer and commercial vehicles can be outfitted with RF or GPS units to allow police to do tracking and recovery.
• Fleet management: When managing a fleet of vehicles, knowing the real-time location of all drivers allows management to meet customer needs more efficiently.
• Asset tracking: Companies needing to track valuable assets for insurance or other monitoring purposes can now plot the real-time asset location on a map and closely monitor movement and operating status.
• Field service management: Companies with a field service workforce for services such as repair or maintenance, must be able to plan field workers’ time, schedule subsequent customer visits and be able to operate these departments efficiently. Vehicle tracking allows companies to quickly locate a field engineer and dispatch the closest one to meet a new customer request or provide site arrival information.
• Field sales: Mobile sales professionals can access real-time locations. For example, in unfamiliar areas, they can locate themselves as well as customers and prospects, get driving directions and add nearby last-minute appointments to itineraries. Benefits include increased productivity, reduced driving time and increased time spent with customers and prospects.
• Trailer tracking: Haulage and Logistics companies often operate lorries with detachable load carrying units. The part of the vehicle that drives the load is known as the cab and the load carrying unit is known as the trailer.
• Surveillance: A tracker may be placed on a vehicle to follow the vehicle’s movements.
• Transit tracking: temporary tracking of assets or cargoes from one point to another. Users will ensure that the assets do not stop on route or do a U-Turn in order to ensure the security of the assets.
• Fuel Monitoring: monitor the fuel through tracking device (with help of fuel sensor connected to the device).
• Distance Calculation: calculate the distance traveled by the fleet
Application Areas of VTMS
1. Private / Government Organizations for Tracking of Employees, Vehicles.
3. Private Yatches and Fishing Boats.
4. Logistics, Cargo, Distribution, Transportation.
VTMS at Pune Municipal Corporation:
The Pune Municipal Corporation has installed the Vehicle Tracking System and Fuel Sensors on PMC Vehicle Depot network of fleets: JCB, Road Sweeper, Waste Collection Vehicle (Ghanta Gadi, BRC Truck, and Compactor) and to provide a Web and GPS based VTMS (Vehicle Tracking & Management System) using state of the art information system for locating, monitoring and managing the Vehicle Depot Fleets Under PMC.
This has been done with a view to improve their route and output monitoring, improving fuel efficiency and ensure that the waste vehicles done their daily trip on time for collection waste/garbage’s from assigned area. The PMC keeps a track of all the vehicles associated under Vehicle depot.
Some of the features of this automated system used at PMC include:
1) Tracking & Scheduling Vehicles
This provides vehicle depot with the high level information of all their fleets& track the same from their command center.
2) Monitor & Schedule Staff
The information gathered & collected by the VTMS system is used by PMC to monitor
& schedule the ground level staff like fleet drivers.
3) Monitor staff-Bin-Vehicle against schedule
4) Staff efficiency improvement
5) Control room for monitoring
6) Alert – over speed, excess stoppage time, excess fuel withdrawn
7) Fuel consumption report
8) Fleet Daily & summary Report
9) Start time & End time
10) Total working hours
11) Speed Violation
12) History play back/ Route replay
13) Provide real time tracking of vehicle
14) Idle Time /Journey Idling Report
Business benefits provided to PMC:
1) Reduction in fleet expenses &operational cost
2) Improvement of driver & vehicle safety
3) Fast stolen vehicle recovery
4) Enhanced Report management
5) Real time tracking, visibility & monitoring of fleet network
6) Critical incident & event notification
7) Improved fuel management
8) Driver accountability & reduce overtime
9) Promoting responsible driving
10) Reduction in unauthorized vehicle use
11) Increase in Productivity
As we can see, the vehicle tracking managements system has multiple benefits and is more than a handy & efficient vehicle tracking system.